Monday, May 20, 2024
23.5 C
Maseru

NACOSEC cut from internet services

Business

Ntsoaki Motaung

The extravagant spending National Covid-19 Secretariat (NACOSEC) was cut off its internet services provider for failing to pay for the service offered by Zeecom Company since its inauguration last winter, Newsday has learnt.

This was confirmed by Zeecom’s Managing Director Khombelwayo Mlotsha who could, however, not be brought to disclose the exact amount of money owed to his company by NACOSEC, save to say they have never paid a cent.

“Ever since we have set them up, NACOSEC has not paid anything to our company. We do not know even a cent from the secretariat,” he said.

 Mlostha stated that ever since NACOSEC was set up around winter last year they did not pay anything and yet received services where their emails and website were hosted. “Our services are paid for in advance but NACOSEC did not pay,” he said.

Quizzed about the figures of what NACOSEC should have been paying, he was quick to refuse saying he would have to consult his legal advisor to get counsel about the legal implications of divulging that information. However, until the time of going to press last night he was still yet to reach the legal advisor.

“Our contract with NACOSEC started sometime around winter last year, we were forced to cut them off this year when we noticed that they were not paying for service rendered unto them,” he said.

Meanwhile, contacted for a comment, NACOSEC Risk Communications Manager Baroane Phenethi claimed not to know anything as has become his demeanor.

“This is news to me. I do not know anything about NACOSEC owing internet services and I would not because I do not work in the finance office. Our finance office could know but I promised to investigate on the matter and revert. However, I apologize for the negligence,” he said.    

However, until the time of going to press last night, he had not shed any light on the matter.

NACOSEC was setup last year following the enactment of a new national administration led by Prime Minister Dr Moeketsi Majoro, and took over from its forerunner the National Emergency Command Center (NECC) and was established to lead the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic which hit the Lesotho shores last winter. Since its establishment, it has been topic of a number of financial scandals, most of which border around extravagant spending and negligence. For instance, it moved its base from a spacious government-owned National Convention Center and moved to a hotel office space to which a few months ago access was barred for owed rentals in the tune of hefty thousands.

- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article

Send this to a friend