United States-based Lesotho defender, Lesia Thetsane has pulled out of the Likuena team that is currently preparing for the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers against Sierra Leone and Nigeria, Newsday has learned.
This is a huge blow for Thabo Senongâ€™s charges who have a mammoth task ahead of them as they have two must-win matches.
Likuena take on the Leone Stars of Sierra Leone at Setsoto stadium on March 22, 2021 and will wrap up their Group L campaign against the Super Eagles of Nigeria eight days later away in Lagos, Nigeria.
Last month Senong announced his provisional squad in which he named Thetsane amongst other internationally based players who received the call-up. However, Newsday has learned that the player will not be able to honour the call-up due to personal reasons.
Lesotho Football Association (LeFA) Media Officer Mikia Kalati, yesterday confirmed that Thetsane was not going to be part of the team.
Kalati said the reason behind Tsetsaneâ€™s absence is personal reasons that are related to his stay in the United States.
â€œIt is true Thetsane will not be part of the team and this is due to personal reasons as he has just graduated and there are other commitments,â€ Kalati said.
Thetsane becomes the second player to be ruled out of the team after the release of TÅ¡epo Seturumane of LMPS who was dropped after he failed to show-up for camp.
Kalati said apart from the two all the other players are still in-camp with the exception of the foreign-based players.
The other foreign based players in Senongâ€™s provisional squad are the Bolivia and Libya-based striking pair of Thabiso Brown and Nkoto Masoabi respectively as well as the South African-based Tumelo Khutlang, Motebang Sera, TÅ¡oarelo Bereng and Luciano Matsoso.
Kalati said all the other foreign players are still available and will only join the camp later on when their respective leagues go for a break.
â€œThe others who have not yet reported for camp will do so in the last weekâ€ he stressed.