Friday, February 20, 2026
Econet Telecom Lesotho
26.5 C
Maseru

Sports budget slammed despite notable improvement

Business

Seabata Mahao
Seabata Mahao
Seabata Mahao is a general news reporter with special focus on Business and Sports. Started working at Newsday in 2021. Working in a team with a shared goal is what I enjoy most and that gives me the motivation to work under any environment leading to growth.

The proposed sports allocation in the 2026/27 national budget has sparked sharp criticism from opposition lawmakers, who argue that the increased funding still falls far short of what is needed to revive and grow the sector.

In her budget speech themed ‘Accelerating Economic Transformation, Building Resilience,’ Minister of Finance and Development Planning Dr Retelisitsoe Matlanyane announced that the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sports will receive M288.7 million, with M150 million specifically earmarked for sports infrastructure.

“To support growth in tourism, culture, and sports, Government has prioritised high-impact investments within the sector. M150 million has been allocated for sports infrastructure to upgrade key facilities and expand access to quality sporting amenities nationwide.”

While the allocation marks a notable increase compared to previous years, former Sports Ministers and opposition leaders have described it as inadequate and lacking long-term vision.

A significant portion of the M150 million is expected to go towards refurbishing Setsoto Stadium, which has been barred for five years by both the Confederation of African Football (CAF) and the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) from hosting international matches.

The ban has forced Lesotho’s national teams to play home matches in South Africa at considerable financial cost.

Although renovations were previously estimated at M85 million last year, rising construction costs have pushed the required amount much higher, raising doubts about whether the M150 million will be enough to fully restore the stadium to international standards.

Former Sports Minister Mahali Phamotse did not mince her words, describing the allocation as insufficient and poorly targeted.

“The national budget covers many sectors, but my main interest is in the portion allocated to youth development, job creation, and sports,” she said.

“I am particularly concerned about how we are going to financially support our players and sports professionals. What specific jobs are being planned for the youth? Are there any investors involved? These issues will only become clear once the budget is fully allocated and implemented.”

Phamotse warned that the M150 million “is just a drop in the ocean compared to what is actually needed,” and expressed concern that the funds could be mismanaged.

“For example, we are currently working on the stadium, yet I know very well that it may never qualify under FIFA standards. When compared to other nearby stadiums that are even better than ours but still do not qualify, it raises serious concerns,” she noted.

She called on FIFA to closely monitor the renovation process to ensure compliance with international standards and to guard against potential tender corruption.

Beyond Setsoto, Phamotse argued that the country is missing opportunities to invest strategically in facilities such as the Rapokolana High Altitude Training Centre. She believes the centre could position Lesotho as a regional hub for high-altitude training and generate much-needed income.

“Because of our country’s climate conditions, we often travel to Pretoria to use high-performance training facilities. Rapokolana has the potential to attract teams from the Southern African region for training camps, which could generate income for the country. Instead of spending three hundred thousand for just one night of travel to South Africa, we could be earning money by hosting others,” she said.

She further stressed that Lesotho needs new, modern sports infrastructure rather than repeated renovations of ageing facilities, and urged Government to actively involve private investors to bridge funding gaps.

Echoing similar concerns, former Sports Minister and Leader of the Opposition Mathibeli Mokhothu said the allocation fails to recognise sport as a serious economic driver.

“As a country, we must work much harder in sports because we are far behind. The budget allocated to sports is very small compared to other government departments. Another issue I have noticed is that the country does not fully understand the potential within sports. Many young people who are not academically inclined could use their talents in sports to build successful careers,” Mokhothu explained.

He described the continued closure of Setsoto Stadium, now stretching into its sixth year, as deeply unfortunate, especially at a time when sporting codes in Lesotho are expanding and diversifying.

Mokhothu also questioned whether the M150 million would be sufficient to modernise the facility properly, warning against installing artificial turf without comprehensive structural upgrades.

“Many young people are not aware that installing artificial turf requires a proper concrete base first. This means the stadium would only be suitable for football. If we were to host Olympic events, the stadium would not be suitable. Instead, the stadium should be restored to its original design with natural grass so that it can host multiple sporting codes at national level,” he said.

He concluded that sports development requires more than headline figures in a budget speech, it demands strategic planning, transparency, investor participation and adequate long-term funding.

“If managed well, sports can create jobs, generate income, and uplift the youth of our nation,” Mokhothu added.

Summary

  • The proposed sports allocation in the 2026/27 national budget has sparked sharp criticism from opposition lawmakers, who argue that the increased funding still falls far short of what is needed to revive and grow the sector.
  • A significant portion of the M150 million is expected to go towards refurbishing Setsoto Stadium, which has been barred for five years by both the Confederation of African Football (CAF) and the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) from hosting international matches.
  • Phamotse warned that the M150 million “is just a drop in the ocean compared to what is actually needed,” and expressed concern that the funds could be mismanaged.
- Advertisement -spot_img
Seahlolo
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article

Send this to a friend