â€¦as main body contingent takes off
After the being stuck in a long wait for the Angolan aircraft, Lesotho Defense Force (LDF) main contingent task force finally took-off to Mozambique yesterday (August 12, 2021).
Lesotho has finally sent off 125 troops together with the all the needed equipment after the Angolan aircraft landed in Lesotho. Lesotho is said to be the last SADC country to send its troops to Mozambique since the terroristsâ€™ riots. Reports disclose that SADC standby force in Mozambique encompasses of South Africa, Botswana, Tanzania Angola and Lesotho.
Last week the army had been left with egg in the face after being stood-up by the Angolans who were supposed to airlift them to their destination in war-torn Mozambique citing some logistical issues.
LDF Information Officer Captain Sakeng Lekola confirmed that they had packed all their necessities, readied for departure and waited at the Moshoeshoe I airport for the Angolan aircraft which did not show-up because of logistical setbacks since the plane is said to be doing a lot of sub-regional logistics since Angola is responsible for logistics of the Southern African Development Community Mission Mozambique (SAMIM).
The event began with the flag-off parade graced by the presence of the Minister of Defense Halebonoe SetÅ¡abi and the LDF Commander Lieutenant-General Mojalefa Letsoela.
According Lekola, they packed necessities sufficient to enable them to carry out the mission successfully.
Earlier last week, 12 contingents of an advanced party departed Lesotho on Sunday morning to join the parade in Mozambique on Monday.
In the waiting, Lesotho decided to send 12 contingents advanced party to fly the national flag at the official launching of Southern African Development community Mission Mozambique (SAMIM) in the Pemba, the capital city of Cabo Delgado. Reports show that the event was led by the Mozambican president Filipe Nyusi and Botswana president Mokgweetsi Masisi.
Few days after the contingent task forces marched from Makoanyane to Ratjomose Barracks the Prime Minister Dr Moeketsi Majoro inspected it at the Makoanyane Barracks.
Speaking at the event, Majoro had pointed to the time as a very sad one for the sub-region the Southern region of Mozambique was being attacked by notorious gunmen.
He added that this is why the government of Lesotho has approved that the army should join other countriesâ€™ forces and implement peace-building initiatives to Mozambique.
Mozambique has been facing attacks from the Ansar Al- Sunna rebels that are threatening the peace and stability among the people of Mozambique. The terrorists have taken the Northern part of Cabo Delgado.
However reports also disclose that Rwanda through its forces released a statement claiming to have recaptured the northern port of Mocimboa da Praia from the armed terrorists.
According to reports Rwandan forces and Mozambican security forces worked together to recapture the city.
Lesotho will form part of the SADC forces in support to Mozambique aimed at mitigating the terrorism acts and violence.