The Lesotho Football Association (LeFA) has written to three Premier League clubs, Matlama FC, Bantu FC, and Linare FC, requesting the release of players selected for the provisional Likuena squad ahead of the FIFA 2026 World Cup Qualifiers.
If granted, the request will sideline several key players from the Ramela Foundation Soccer Spectacular, scheduled for August 30–31.
Bantu could be without Mkwanazi Motlomelo and Kananelo Rapulene; Linare may lose Teboho Letsema and Thato Sefuli; while Matlama might have to do without veterans Jane Thabantšo and Rethabile Mokokoane.
LeFA Secretary General Mokhosi Mohapi confirmed that several players from the three clubs have been called into the national team camp, which began on August 28 at Bambatha Tšita Sports Arena.
In his letter to the presidents of Matlama, Bantu, and Linare, Mohapi wrote: “RE: players in camp for the FIFA 2026 World Cup Qualifiers.
The above caption bears reference.
“The Lesotho Senior National Team – Likuena will be playing in the FIFA 2026 World Cup Qualifiers matches this coming month and will be in camp from August 28 to September 12, 2025.
“Pursuant to my telephonic conversation with the presidents of Linare FC, Bantu FC, and Matlama FC today where the veracity and importance of the upcoming FIFA World Cup Qualifiers were discussed, the Lesotho Football Association herein indulges Linare FC, Bantu FC, and Matlama FC, to agree that Linare FC, Bantu FC and Matlama FC players called for national duty be allowed to stay in Likuena camp until the completion of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, and therefore will not be available for the upcoming weekend’s club activity as agreed.
“I hope you find this in order. The letter stated.
Speaking to Newsday, Mohapi explained that the move stems from previous experiences where Likuena underperformed because domestic club engagements disrupted preparations before international fixtures.
“We have seen how Likuena plays while coming from domestic competitions, there is too much fatigue and we cannot overwork our players, they are human after all, hence we have asked their clubs to release them to the camp so that they can be fully prepared,” he said.
“This move will not only benefit Likuena but the players personally as they will be playing on international stages. This is a good platform for them to showcase their talent and represent their nation in full form,” Mokhosi added.
Linare has since released a statement acknowledging LeFA’s request. In a statement dated August 28, the club management said:
“Linare FC is proud to announce that we have reached a mutual agreement with the Lesotho Football Association (LeFA) to release our players for national duty.
“While we recognise the importance of having our full squad available for club commitments, we also understand the great honour and responsibility that comes with representing our country. As a club, we fully support our players in this important journey and are proud to see them wear the national colours.
“We wish them all the best as they contribute their talents to the success of our national team.”
Bantu’s General Manager, Pule Poosela, also confirmed to Newsday Sports that the club had received LeFA’s letter and would comply, though reluctantly.
“We received a letter from LeFA giving us the directive, and management decided to comply. We asked our head coach about the decision, especially now that we have an upcoming tournament, and he said we will continue without those players,” Poosela stated.
However, Matlama’s spokesperson Ramafahla Thamae said: “We have not yet made the decision, but our main concern is why LeFA is making this plea now, despite all the competitions that have been ongoing previously,” said Thamae.
He noted that earlier tournaments, such as the People’s Cup, were played just before previous national team camps, yet no such pleas were issued then.
“Our understanding is that during the off-season, as we prepare for the Premier League, our clubs should get enough practice so we can get a glimpse of what our squad will look like. We really need to prepare for our league opener against Lijabatho on September 13, which is a tough fixture,” Thamae added.
Summary
- The Lesotho Football Association (LeFA) has written to three Premier League clubs, Matlama FC, Bantu FC, and Linare FC, requesting the release of players selected for the provisional Likuena squad ahead of the FIFA 2026 World Cup Qualifiers.
- “Pursuant to my telephonic conversation with the presidents of Linare FC, Bantu FC, and Matlama FC today where the veracity and importance of the upcoming FIFA World Cup Qualifiers were discussed, the Lesotho Football Association herein indulges Linare FC, Bantu FC, and Matlama FC, to agree that Linare FC, Bantu FC and Matlama FC players called for national duty be allowed to stay in Likuena camp until the completion of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, and therefore will not be available for the upcoming weekend’s club activity as agreed.
- “We have seen how Likuena plays while coming from domestic competitions, there is too much fatigue and we cannot overwork our players, they are human after all, hence we have asked their clubs to release them to the camp so that they can be fully prepared,” he said.

Seabata Mahao is a general news reporter with special focus on Business and Sports. Started working at Newsday in 2021. Working in a team with a shared goal is what I enjoy most and that gives me the motivation to work under any environment leading to growth.