JOIN OUR TEAM!!!
Position: Junior Graphic Designer
Background: The Junior Graphic Designer is responsible to conceptualize, design and produce print and digital artwork and materials that support Newsday Media, digital signage and e-commerce.
- Brainstorm, develop, and present design concepts.
- Follow and apply Newsday Media brand and graphic standards.
- Follow the design standards/leadership set by the Head of Productions.
- Be a creative professional with exceptional ability to design, produce and manage projects including multi-product layout (8-48page) newspaper, flyers, digital signage, emails, online graphics, event materials and signage, print advertising, direct mail, posters, store signage, promotional materials, etc.
- Understand the fundamental principles of graphic design and layout including colour, image manipulation, design templates, fonts, production and composition.
- Have artistic ability and creativity while being true to the Newsday Media brand.
- Print (in-house or with outside vendors) sign packages, newspapers, flyers, promotional event materials and information materials.
- Be able to create, organize and manage production files in a professional manner.
- Understand digital asset management of photos, logos, product information, etc.
- Be aware of professional file preparation including pre-press packaging, colour management (CMYK) for print and online or digital use (RBG).
- Be able to spec print jobs and gather estimates from vendors and clients as needed.
- Be able to deliver files to vendors/clients or media accurately and on time.
- Coordinate with other team members to manage projects and deadlines.
- Expert use of Adobe Creative Suite to execute designs, including Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator required.
- Ability to design/repurpose artwork for digital/online purposes such as website, email, digital signage and video animations.
- Must be able to design on a PC.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Must be able to effectively collaborate and work with other members of the team such as graphic designers, vendors/clients, supplier-partners, co-op marketing managers, Videographers, Editors, Special-Projects managers and the Managing Editor to accomplish goals and objectives of the Company.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize workload.
- Desire to learn from your peers and apply your skills in a dynamic multi-disciplinary environment.
- Effectively present ideas â€“ both verbally and visually.
- Must be dependable with good follow-through of assignments.
- Attention to detail and ability to take direction.
- Must have a â€œwhatever it takesâ€ attitude.
- Must have exceptional creativity that is competitive
- Must be willing to adapt to changing priorities, needs and workflow
- Additional creative skills around animation and the ability to use a camera and editing of pictures and videos
- Possess a Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Art, Graphic Design or a similar area of study.
- Have a minimum of 2-3 years of professional experience doing graphic design in a newspaper, an agency, an internal marketing department or other similar professional environment.
- Demonstrate exceptional creative and organisational skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Love challenges.
- Actions and attitudes aligned with Mission, Values, and Principles.
- Sit for long periods of time.
- Repetitive wrist and hand movements on the keyboard.
- Close vision for PC work.
- Site visits
- Regular sitting in meetings
- Regular sitting and participating trainings
*Applications can be hand delivered at Newsday Media offices at Carlton Center 3rd Floor, Room 302 OR emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before July 14, 2023